So, all that was left was the PNQE challenge. The theme was "Keystone". Knowing that this year is the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812, I decided to design a quilt that reflected the event which inspired the Star-Spangled Banner. I knew that from above, Fort McHenry contains a keystone shape. What if I took the public domain drawing of the battle, portrayed it within the keystone shape and put the whole thing on a replica of the flag that was flown? Fabulous idea on paper, challenging on fabric. I left Hallowood with a half-finished quilt top and an August 18th deadline, at least that's what I thought.
Yesterday morning, I decided if I spent the whole day on the quilt, I could finish it, photograph it, and send off my application today. I got out the application and was horrified to note that the entry must be postmarked by August 17th. It was iffy that I would be able to get the entry to the post office by 5 p.m. but I did my best. In truth, I had to pin the binding to take the picture...but the entry is on it's way. Here's the original design:
And here's my attempt:
Now I just have to wait to see if it will be accepted. If it's not.....well, I've learned a few lessons. Twila taught me how to apply paint to fabric to lighten the color. While I didn't have time to do that yesterday, her lesson is a tool I can use in the future. I calligraphied the Star-Spangled banner on fabric that resembled parchment paper. I satin stitched with metallic thread. And, finally, I used a few of the quilting stitches I learned in Leah Day's book: 365 Free Motion Quilting Designs. All in all, it feels good to achieve some goals and learn something along the way.